How to Choose a Roofing Contractor
- Get three roofing contractor estimates to compare. Make sure to interview each one to ask questions and determine your level of confidence in their ability to do an outstanding job.
- Make sure your roofer has the proper insurance. Be sure to ask to see the certificate copies.
- Ask about his property protection system/process. How will they keep your landscape safe during demolition?
- Get all the details of the project in writing. Don’t make a final payment until you are satisfied with the result.
- Ask for a copy of his contractor’s license, if your area requires it.
- Find out what warranty is offered on workmanship and materials.
- Make sure to hire a local roofing contractor and that they are an established business in your community.
- Do a reputation check. Call customer references, view the Better Business Bureau and Angie’s List, and do an online search for the company’s name. If they won’t provide references, that is a big red flag.
- Find out if the company has any manufacturers’ certifications, which may demonstrate a higher level of professionalism or experience.
- Make sure the contract or proposal is detailed and spells out material types, what exactly is being replaced, and a time frame for completion.
- Communication is paramount. Be sure you and the contractor are both on the same page or if you are not satisfied with how the job is progressing.
These tips should help you find the right roofing contractor for your project.